Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Daily Kos: Teaching without talking . . .

Daily Kos: Teaching without talking . . .:

Teaching without talking . . .

that was largely my experience this week. I lost my voice over the previous weekend, was on medication and orders to rest my voice. But I needed to keep my classes moving forward.

I arranged for a microphone and loudspeaker, into which I could whisper, but even that I had to minimize to avoid strain.

I had to replan lessons to allow for even more student talk than usual.

In my AP classes, where the students are used to taking responsibility for the discussions, it worked fairly well.

In my non-Ap classes, it was more difficult. Too many of the students are still, even after 2/3 of a school year with me, somewhat passive about their learning, waiting for information to be given to them.

It is that passivity that is the basis of this Saturday morning reflection on teaching, in what increasingly looks like my last year in the classroom, or at least in this school.

I invite you to keep reading.