Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Emotional Life of Middle School Students « City School Stories

The Emotional Life of Middle School Students « City School Stories:

The Emotional Life of Middle School Students

Teacher Stories

Submitted by Teacher Man on December 22, 2011

The more that I progress as a classroom teacher, the better I am at making new and important levels of observation about my students. Having to spend less time focused on new teacher issues like pacing of lessons and classroom management, I am able to spend more time getting to know my students as individuals. One of the most common observations I have made about my 7th and 8thgraders this year is that many of them experience a bad combination of overwhelming emotions with few healthy options to access or express their feelings.

It seems as though my students experience waves of new and powerful emotions everyday. A very important part