Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Teacher for Sale - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Teacher for Sale - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher:

Teacher for Sale

Many years ago, through no effort (or fault) on my part, I became--temporarily--a Famous Teacher. What was most astonishing about this experience: a wide range of people (from broadcast media figures to the district Superintendent) suddenly paid attention to what I had to say about education. I was phoned and asked my opinion when critical education issues emerged in Michigan. I was offered positions on statewide task forces and columns in the local newspaper. I even shot a TV commercial supporting an education funding initiative, and flew around the state with the Governor on a promotion tour. Good times.

As any teacher who finds herself publicly distinguished knows, however--opportunities to "speak for teachers" are almost always accompanied by some questionable baggage. There's the token teacher experience, where