Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

All Things Education: The Context of Character Education

All Things Education: The Context of Character Education:

The Context of Character Education

I was up late last night and early this morning reading and thinking about the Troy Davis case, our deeply unjust criminal justice system, and character education. I'm tired and out of blogging practice, so I may have some things to update or clarify later.

I read this New York Times Magazine article by Paul Tough about character education at KIPP middle schools in New York City and at Riverdale Country School, an elite private school also in New York City, expecting to be aggravated by it, but I wasn't at all. It was a solid piece of journalism--nuanced, thought provoking, and objective. That being said, I see some real problems in the approach being described.

I hadn't liked the sound of KIPP co-founder Mike Feinberg's recent quote that: "KIPP teachers believe their job is to teach 49 percent academic and 51 percent character," so I was relieved when I read the other KIPP co-