Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Jersey Jazzman: How To Talk Like a Reformer

Jersey Jazzman: How To Talk Like a Reformer

How To Talk Like a Reformer

I had promised myself that I was done with Laura Waters and her increasingly insipid blog; however, this post is so typical of the shallow and lazy thinking of the corporate reformers that I have to point it out.

Laura has not only signed on to the whole Cerf-Christie-Rhee-Gates-Broad-whomever agenda; she's absorbed the language of their propaganda so completely into her muscles that it now spasms out of her like a reflex:
NJEA President Barbara Keshishian has a piece in the Star-Ledger today lambasting the Jersey paper for a general lack of support and for

What Corporate Reform Is Really About

As I've been writing about the corporate reform movement over the past year, I've been thinking a lot about the reasons why a group of plutocrats would push this clearly insane agenda on to our schools.

I've come to realize I've focused most of my writing on two reasons:

1) It distracts from the real reasons for the "achievement gap" and for our current fiscal mess. Income inequity and a tax policy that favors the wealthy are far more responsible for the state of our nation than teacher tenure or pensions; the right-wing needs to find any