Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 27, 2010

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: How come Charters attract so many younger teachers?

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: How come Charters attract so many younger teachers?

How come Charters attract so many younger teachers?

When I was searching for a teaching job 2 years ago I ran across a charter inHarlem, NYC that is considered fairly 'successful'. During the phone interview process I was informed about the hours (stay very late once a week and work 9 hour days for higher pay) and the calendar days (July to August; no summers really). I was also informed that I'd be expected to go on a mandatory 4-day or a week-long retreat with other staff member at some campus nearby. I put on the brakes hard and fast and asked, "what if you have a family?, I can't go on a