Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 16, 2021

THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS Dad Gone Wild Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it

 Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.


THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS 
Dad Gone Wild 
Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it



AT FIRST BLUSH…
“My friends are gone and my hair is grey. I ache in places I used to play. And I’m crazy for love but I’m not coming on. I’m just paying my rent every day in the tower of song.” ― Leonard Cohen, Dance Me to the End of Love Well, this day is starting out like a Monday. 600 words into my thoughts about the alignment between parenthood and schools, I realize that I am looking at a jumbled mess that
AN ARGUMENT FOR WALKING THE LINE
“This is my theory,” she said. “If everybody is dressing formal, wear jeans. If everybody is wearing jeans, dress formal. Be different. They’ll notice you.” ― Reba McEntire I ran into my buddy Slatski at the bus stop yesterday, He was reading the paper. (yea…I know, it’s always Chicago circa 1973 with my buddy Slats) “Why the scowl? You look tired.”, I said as I joined him in waiting for the bus.
THE EDUCATION-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
“In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist.” – Dwight Eisenhower Let me give you a little fair warning, I’m writing today’s thoughts from the couch while listening to records with a splitting headache
ALWAYS PLAYING HURT
“I’m just afraid of having a tombstone that says HERE LIES A PROMISING OLD MAN.” ― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest As many of you know, I earn my primary living through special event bartending. It’s hard but rewarding work, that exposes me to all kinds of unique situations. A couple years ago, it was wintertime, and I was working a little cocktail party for about 100 people, that was slated
ARE WE NOW CELEBRATING THOUGHTS OVER DEEDS?
“there was no honor among thieves. Boys in the game only respected you in direct proportion to how much they needed you divided by how much they feared you.” ― S.A. Cosby, Blacktop Wasteland I’ve probably told this story

 Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.