Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 8, 2021

THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS Dad Gone Wild Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it

Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.


THIS WEEK'S WILDNESS 
Dad Gone Wild 
Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it





THE ROLE OF SCIENCE AND HISTORY
“People who deny the existence of dragons are often eaten by dragons. From within.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Wave in the Mind: Talks and Essays on the Writer, the Reader, and the Imagination This week, amidst great fanfare, the State General Assembly came to a close . For many, it couldn’t have come fast enough. I would argue that this year’s legislative session produced an overabundance of bad b
ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END
“One of the hardest things in life to learn are which bridges to cross and which bridges to burn.” ― Oprah Winfrey The 2021 version of the Tennessee General Assembly is slowly coming to a close. But whether it will close with a whimper or a bang is yet to be determined. Two bills slated for discussion this week could send it either way . First up, is a bill that would lay out a pathway for those
THE NEW ABNORMAL HAS IT’S PLUSSES
“The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows” ― Stephen King Clipping the leash to the dog, I check that I have the necessary plastic bag in my pocket. Once verified, I call out to my 10-year old son, “You about ready?” “We going now?”, he responds from the living room, “Coming.” It’s 7:45 and in a normal year, we’d be rushing to get him and his sister
A RACE TO NOWHERE, WITH NO GUARANTEED WINNERS
“the city’s ills were supposed to disappear.” ― Douglas Stuart, Shuggie Bain Back when I wore a younger man’s clothes, I drank the elixir of the protestant work ethic by the case. I was sold on the idea that I was on a mythical race to somewhere, I didn’t know where it was or even have a clear vision of how I’d recognize it if I got there, I only knew that if I worked hard and studied my craft to
WHO DO WE WANT THEM TO BE WHEN THEY GROW UP?
“The time has arrived when patience becomes a crime and mayhem appears garbed in a manner of virtue” ― Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan of the Apes I’m going to let you in on a little secret this morning. For some, it’ll be deeply


Dad Gone Wild – Nobody reads it, everybody quotes it.