Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 7, 2021

The American Rescue Plan is a chance for a new beginning in education and teaching children, especially those with special needs | Eclectablog

The American Rescue Plan is a chance for a new beginning in education and teaching children, especially those with special needs | Eclectablog
The American Rescue Plan is a chance for a new beginning in education and teaching children, especially those with special needs



The following essay was written by Trina Tocco. She is a resident of Royal Oak and has two amazing children who attend Ferndale Public Schools.


When the pandemic hit, I had to make a choice – either one of my children wouldn’t be able to participate in virtual school because of mental illness or I would have to put my family at risk by bringing additional caregivers who I didn’t know into my home to help with my children so that I could work. I chose to open my home because the risks of an unsafe home with no one to really turn to didn’t seem like an option.

As a single mom trying to work and homeschool my children, it has often felt like I wouldn’t make it through the day. Emergency services like the Oakland County Mobile Youth Crisis line haven’t been available to go into homes since the start of the pandemic. The pediatric mental health hospitals are at full capacity and families are having to wait weeks in hospital waiting rooms for placements to ensure safety for their children and families. What were gaps in supports and services before the pandemic are now gaping holes.

During this pandemic, families like mine with special needs children have needed an adult from the school to be physically present. Unfortunately, given the lack of school staff, the limitations created by social distancing, and the outdated separation of services that are provided by schools versus community mental health agencies, this just wasn’t possible. Instead, I have had to CONTINUE READING: The American Rescue Plan is a chance for a new beginning in education and teaching children, especially those with special needs | Eclectablog