Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 6, 2021

PLEASE APPLY MORE CARE – Dad Gone Wild

PLEASE APPLY MORE CARE – Dad Gone Wild
PLEASE APPLY MORE CARE


“Oh, come off your perch!” said the other man, who wore glasses. “Your premises won’t come out in the wash. You wind-jammers who apply bandy-legged theories to concrete categorical syllogisms send logical conclusions skallybootin’ into the infinitesimal ragbag. You can’t pull my leg with an old sophism with whiskers on it.”
― O. Henry, The Complete Works of O. Henry

 

My relationship with my children is rooted in trust. I realized long ago that I didn’t have the wherewithal to helicopter parent. Instead, I choose to set expectations and then give them room to live within those expectations. Obviously, at times the kids fail to meet those expectations, but since our relationships are rooted primarily in trust, the resulting conversations are more corrective than punitive. It’s an approach that’s proven successful for us.

Believe it or not, I prefer to approach advocacy work similarly. Despite what some may think, my goal with this blog was never to serve as a community watchdog. That’s an exhausting task that takes a tremendous toll on a person’s mental health. My preference has always been one where both parties are transparent and adhere to the tenets they espouse – transparency, open communication, the inclusion of different views. On paper, it doesn’t appear to be a difficult CONTINUE READING: PLEASE APPLY MORE CARE – Dad Gone Wild