Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 19, 2021

Flast v. Cohen (1968) - Part Four: Oh No I've Said Too Much... | Blue Cereal Education

Flast v. Cohen (1968) - Part Four: Oh No I've Said Too Much... | Blue Cereal Education
Flast v. Cohen (1968) - Part Four: Oh No I've Said Too Much...



Issue of StandingI’ve been posting some of my rough drafts for a book I hope will be out this summer, tentatively titled “Have To” History: It Followed Her To School One Day… and with a subtitle longer than several of the actual chapters in my effort to clarify what it’s about right there on the cover while still being saucy. What started off as a one-pager for the case of Flast v. Cohen (1968) became a rambling summary of “standing” issues in church-state cases related to public education, which I’ve been sharing here as it develops.

Flast was and is still important, as is the handling of “standing” over the past century in these “wall of education” cases. I will, however, definitely be breaking down this information differently than what you’re seeing here. This is driven by (a) my belief in clarity and easy reference, and (b) a burning desire to sell more than four copies.

Standing UpIn the meantime, here’s the rest of my initial mess and then it’s time to move on. You know what they say: nothing Flast forever.

Yeah, that’s not going in the book either…

In case you’re just now joining the party, you might as well start with Part OnePart Two, and Part Three.

“School Choice” and Taxpayer Standing

The numerous “school choice” cases best typified by Zelman v. Simmons-Harris CONTINUE READING: Flast v. Cohen (1968) - Part Four: Oh No I've Said Too Much... | Blue Cereal Education