Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 28, 2020

Connecticut: A Teacher Remembers Cardona | Diane Ravitch's blog

Connecticut: A Teacher Remembers Cardona | Diane Ravitch's blog
Connecticut: A Teacher Remembers Cardona




A music teacher in Meriden, Connecticut, wrote this comment about Miguel Cardona on Facebook. The teacher is a BAT. Jake Jacobs, executive director of the BATS, circulated this post.

I can tell you this much–he was my principal and evaluator for one year, during a low point in my career. Of the nine principals (and couple dozen assistants) I have worked under, he is the only one who has ever had a conversation with me about my teaching. His is the only formal observation I have ever had that was conducted in a way where the goal was to help me be a better teacher. When I needed something, he did his best to provide it. When he had to say no, he explained why honestly and respectfully. When he moved to central office, he focused on teacher evaluation and had frank and honest discussions with teachers about the state of teacher eval and the different issues and potential pitfalls of different systems. He is thoughtful, open, and kind, and treats everyone with respect and compassion. Most important, while he is ambitious–he made no secret as principal that he got his Ed. D. with an eye toward being a CONTINUE READING: Connecticut: A Teacher Remembers Cardona | Diane Ravitch's blog