Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

“Welcome Back, Teach” (Jessyca Mathews) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“Welcome Back, Teach” (Jessyca Mathews) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“Welcome Back, Teach” (Jessyca Mathews)




Mathews is an English Teacher at Carman-Ainsworth High School in Flint, Michigan. Her story appeared in the Washington Post’s online article, October 6, 2020. She is one of nine teachers the newspaper asked to report on their experiences in returning to remote and in-person instruction during the pandemic.
The massive rumbles of thunder surprise me from my sleep. With heart racing, I turn over to look at the time. It’s only 4:30 a.m. I could try to sleep for another hour and a half, but my mind has other plans. As I sit up and look out the window, I gaze at the dark, mysterious sky.
I am exhausted, but I must start my day because it is time for the inevitable. I must report to the Factory today.
I begin a ritual that would soon be my daily routine. I take a hot shower. Brush my teeth. Put on ChapStick. Find clothing with many pockets. Display makeup just on my eyes. The mask will cover the rest of my face.
I investigate my survival bag to make sure I have the required items: hand CONTINUE READING: “Welcome Back, Teach” (Jessyca Mathews) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice