Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 21, 2020

“Confessions of a School Reformer” (Part 3) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“Confessions of a School Reformer” (Part 3) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“Confessions of a School Reformer” (Part 3)



Continuing story of my teaching history at Glenville High School in Cleveland (OH), 1956-1963
Then I got married in 1958.  Evenings which I had used for grading homework and preparing lessons and weekends for completing graduate papers were no longer as available as when I was single. Fatigue and the growing awareness that I could have a life outside of Glenville brought me face-to-face with choosing how to combine the demands of work and being with Barbara and eventually my two daughters, Sondra and Janice. Threading that needle was never easy for me as a teacher and later, as an administrator.
In seven years of teaching, I had created in fits and starts, with many stumbles, a home-grown history course than I had neither expected when I arrived at Glenville in 1956.  I was an unheralded, unknown classroom reformer creating a different American history course in a de facto segregated school.
I came to believe that any teacher could adopt and adapt lessons tailored to their students, especially economically disadvantaged students in segregated schools. My belief in engaging classroom materials turning around such students and schools grew out of those lessons I had created. If more teachers and schools did what I did, I believed, then urban schools would improve. Although my reform-driven belief turned out to be too narrow and too demanding of teachers given the working conditions they faced, the ideas I offered and practiced in my classrooms of getting students to connect the racial-inflected past to the present, I hoped would help my students understand what was happening in the South with Freedom Riders and student sit-ins in segregated restaurants and bus boycotts. Without fully knowing it myself, my belief in the power of education to reform society, as Dewey put it, lay behind the materials I developed and classroom activities I managed.  That is my small part in the civil rights movement.
In the next decade working in Washington, D.C. my work as a classroom CONTINUE READING: “Confessions of a School Reformer” (Part 3) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice