Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 20, 2020

We need time & faith & funds to reopen schools safely - SF PUBLIC SCHOOL MOM

We need time & faith & funds to reopen schools safely - SF PUBLIC SCHOOL MOM

We need time & faith & funds to reopen schools safely



As a rule, whenever you see something Trump is doing, do the opposite,
That may seem like a no-brainer, but right now, with all the conversation going on about whether schools should, or shouldn’t open, I think it bears remembering. Lately, in many of the “pod” conversations sprouting up on social media, I’m noticing that parents and caregivers, in venting about their anxiety and frustration, are focusing their anger not only on the education system itself but teachers specifically.
Honestly, I understand this frustration as both a parent AND an educator. Nonetheless, it feels a little like the analogy of the boss yelling at her employee, who yells at the spouse who yells at the kid who finally kicks the dog. Based on the tweets I’m seeing, many teachers are starting to feel like they are the dog in this analogy…
With permission, I’m sharing a post I saw from a teacher in a Facebook group dedicated to supporting educators during this crisis.
With that in mind (and with permission) I’m sharing a post I recently read by a fellow SFUSD educator Amy Clark (Amy, thank you so much for your service to our students and families! 🙏🏽)

Time, Faith, and Funds

A request from an SFUSD elementary teacher

by Amy Clark,

“I have been teaching in public schools for 21 years. It’s a hard job on a good day, but the work is unique and interesting and inspiring. I’m proud of my profession and care about my students and families.
Teaching is a highly specialized profession, and it’s complicated. It’s not just a matter of materials or delivering content. It’s about relationships, CONTINUE READING: We need time & faith & funds to reopen schools safely - SF PUBLIC SCHOOL MOM