Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Now is not the time. | Opine I will

Now is not the time. | Opine I will

Now is not the time




Now is not the time to open schools!
Yes, I know we need to get the economy open. I know parents need to get back to work. I know children are losing important time in school. I know all the reasons why we need to open schools. Unfortunately, now is not the time.
We keep hearing that we need more testing, more contact tracing, social distancing, and masks. Even if we had 100% compliance ( which we are nowhere near), is it worth the risk?
We don’t know the long term effects of Covid. We are not pouring money and assets into school buildings to upgrade their ventilation systems, expanding to accommodate 6′ social distance spacing, or the proper training of teachers and other staff members that will need to work in a potentially high infectious environment.
When the policy makers are meeting in virtual meeting rooms from their respective “bunkers” to decide whether children and teachers should be together in a classroom, we should all be able to see through their smoke and mirrors to know something is wrong.
Governor Cuomo today told us all that as long as the infection rate stays below 5% of CONTINUE READING: Now is not the time. | Opine I will