Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Terimiyia’s Favorite Time of Day | deutsch29

Terimiyia’s Favorite Time of Day | deutsch29

Terimiyia’s Favorite Time of Day


I spent a few hours in my classroom today cleaning and packing up.
In some ways, the experience felt normal, the same end-of-year routine that I have been doing for years– except that it is April and our governor officially declared that students will not be returning to school buildings for the remainder of the school year.
Being in my classroom again put me in mind of my students, particularly one student, Terimiyia.
The week before our school closed, my students presented their own poetry, and Terimiyia wrote and read her poem, entitled, “Favorite Time of Day,” about her experience in my class.
I’m smiling even now, thinking about it, just like I smiled when Terimiyia first read it to me and her classmates.
I asked Terimiyia if she would give me permission to publish her poem on my CONTINUE READING: Terimiyia’s Favorite Time of Day | deutsch29