Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 10, 2020

SOME TRUTHS ABOUT TEACHERS | The Merrow Report

SOME TRUTHS ABOUT TEACHERS | The Merrow Report

SOME TRUTHS ABOUT TEACHERS


Last week in this space I posted an almost entirely fabricated** article about faux “research’ I claimed to have done by hitchhiking while posing as a retired teacher, CPA, doctor, et cetera. Although the piece was posted on April Fools Day, a fair number of readers took what I wrote at face value.
Why would smart people take me at face value? I think it’s because my phony research supported their core belief–teachers matter–and they simply couldn’t wrap their brains around the notion of anyone poking fun at that.
Big Education Ape: A WEEK LATE…. | The Merrow Report - https://bigeducationape.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-week-late-merrow-report.html
Teachers Matter” is a core belief of mine as well, so let me be serious for a moment, because what many teachers are doing during this awful pandemic again demonstrates their value.  
Our teachers are stepping up big time, judging from news reports and from the stories I’m hearing from family and friends.  In some communities teachers have organized ‘drive throughs’ of the neighborhoods where their students live, so the kids can come outside and wave hello–from a safe distance–to their teachers.  Here’s one TV report about how teachers in California are staying connected with their elementary school students.  
A high school teacher I know well is working with some of his students–at a CONTINUE READING: SOME TRUTHS ABOUT TEACHERS | The Merrow Report