Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 13, 2020

Please Accept My Resignation From The 'Ed Reform' Movement - Philly's 7th Ward

Please Accept My Resignation From The 'Ed Reform' Movement - Philly's 7th Ward

PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION FROM THE ‘ED REFORM’ MOVEMENT


To all my disrupter friends, please accept this letter as my resignation from the so-called “education reform movement.”

For more than 20 years I’ve been lost in the reform forest, but no more. For too long I’ve relied on false prophets who have filled me with false consciousness and bribed me with bank statements. 
I have new advisors now. Many of them. They stay in touch with me daily, contact my family members, inquire about my personal life, and offer constant feedback about my career. They have taken a lot of care to educate me and I appreciate it.

While there are too many of them to count, here’s an incomplete picture to give you an idea:


A small sampling of the people who have called me names, used stereotypes against me, and assigned my activism and ideas to wealthy white masters.

These are people who have dedicated themselves to tirelessly rescuing lost fools and returning them to their forever families in government schools. What amazing grace.

They want me to tell you a few things, so here goes.
I renounce every critique I’ve ever made about the American public education system. Our public schools are the best in the world if you remove the children who aren’t white. The test scores don’t lie when white kids pass them. Unfortunately, the tests don’t tell us anything meaningful about nonwhite people.
Our nation’s teachers are faultless heroes. Their unions are freedom fighters. If there are racialized outcomes it is because children are too poor to learn, their parents too irresponsible to teach them, and their politicians refuse to provide schools more money to deal with them. 
If we really want better outcomes we will split them into small cohorts and CONTINUE READING: Please Accept My Resignation From The 'Ed Reform' Movement - Philly's 7th Ward