Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 16, 2020

With A Brooklyn Accent: When You're Living The History You Are Studying: A Message I Just Sent To My Students

With A Brooklyn Accent: When You're Living The History You Are Studying: A Message I Just Sent To My Students

When You're Living The History You Are Studying: A Message I Just Sent To My Students


Hello Rock and Roll to Hip Hop Students
First of all, how are you? I hope those of you who left the country or your hometowns for Spring Break are able to fly back safely. Please contact me if you need help with anything. I am here if you need me.
Secondly, I have read all your midterms and they are excellent. I have sent each of you individual letters about your exams, something I have never done before because I usually put ample comments on the exams I return to you. But since it is not sure when, if ever I will see all of you again ( some of you are graduating in May, possibly remotely) I needed to use this method of letting you know what I thought of what you wrote.
But the major reason I am communicating with you is to address an irony in how I was teaching the course. At several points in the semester, I was describing how a sudden unexpected event could change how people lived, thought and even produced and consumed music. The examples I used were the beginnings of the Great Depression, US entry into World War 2 and most CONTINUE READING: With A Brooklyn Accent: When You're Living The History You Are Studying: A Message I Just Sent To My Students