Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 27, 2020

Slaying Goliath: We Are Not for Sale | deutsch29

Slaying Goliath: We Are Not for Sale | deutsch29

Slaying Goliath: We Are Not for Sale


I have been blogging regularly about the impact of market-based education reform upon American education for seven years. I began this blog on January 25, 2013, following numerous months of responding in the comments sections of news articles often promoting the glories of test-based grading of schools and teachers and of fashioning the traditional, community school as enemy and publicly-funded private school vouchers and privately-operated charter schools as savior.
In early 2012, I learned that the governor I helped re-elect, Bobby Jindal, had decided that Louisiana teachers were the enemy; that he had both the 2012 Louisiana legislature and the 2012 state ed board in his pocket to push test-centric ed reform onto Louisiana’s K12 classrooms, and that local news outlets refused to publish articles challenging Jindal’s war on Louisiana public education.
And so, in addition to teaching full time, I began researching and writing about the corporate-ed-reform assault on public education as a means to understand what was happening in Louisiana and beyond and to educate the public.
It has been an uphill battle, and I know that my words, though informative, are also often overwhelming and disheartening for those who care about the community school and who seek an encouraging word.
I have had fellow supporters of American public education tell me they CONTINUE READING: Slaying Goliath: We Are Not for Sale | deutsch29