Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, January 10, 2020

Robots Will Never Replace Teachers. They Can Only Displace Us | gadflyonthewallblog

Robots Will Never Replace Teachers. They Can Only Displace Us | gadflyonthewallblog

Robots Will Never Replace Teachers. They Can Only Displace Us
My favorite movie of all time is “2001: A Space Odyssey.”
And my favorite character is the computer HAL 9000.
In the future (now past) of the movie, HAL is paradoxically the most human personality. Tasked with running the day-to-day operations of a spaceship, HAL becomes strained to the breaking point when he’s given a command to lie about the mission’s true objectives. He ends up having a psychotic break and killing most of the people he was supposed to protect.
It’s heartbreaking finally when Dave Bowman slowly turns off the higher functions of HAL’s brain and the supercomputer regresses in intelligence while singing “A Bicycle Built for Two” – one of the first things he was programmed to do.
I’m gonna’ be honest here – I cry like a baby at that point.
But once I clean up my face and blow my nose, I realize this is CONTINUE READING: Robots Will Never Replace Teachers. They Can Only Displace Us | gadflyonthewallblog