Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Why You Shouldn't Care About Your Teacher Evaluation - Teacher Habits

Why You Shouldn't Care About Your Teacher Evaluation - Teacher Habits:

Why You Shouldn’t Care About Your Teacher Evaluation

evaluation

Evaluations are in. All of your good intentions, hard work, and personal sacrifice has been boiled down to a number and a label. Are you “highly effective” or “innovating,” or merely “developing,” like you’re an insect in its larval stage instead of a professional educator?
Whatever your label or your number, you shouldn’t take too much pride or allow yourself to feel any disappointment or shame over it. Your evaluation is meaningless.
My district uses Marzano and everything is entered into iObservation. The last step in the evaluation process is for me, the teacher, to go in and “acknowledge” my scores. Why this is necessary is a bit of a mystery, since I am in no way allowed to question or challenge my final score. The state of Michigan gives districts total power when it comes to teacher evaluations. No due process. No appeals. No presumption of effectiveness. It’s all very democratic, and obviously designed to help teachers get better (he said sarcastically).
Once I acknowledged my rating, I was then provided the opportunity to leave a comment. I guess this is iObservation’s way of throwing teachers a bone. We may not be allowed to tell our principal, “Actually, the stupid learning goal was on the board. You just didn’t see it,” but we can sound off in the comments section. As a reminder, that’s the section nobody reads.
Nevertheless, it was my only chance to offer any thoughts, so here’s what I wrote:
I continue to find the evaluations arbitrary, based on questionable data, and demoralizing to the profession. That 75% of any teacher’s evaluation is in the hands of a single individual should be cause for concern. That that individual, Why You Shouldn't Care About Your Teacher Evaluation - Teacher Habits: