Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Jersey Jazzman: Correcting the Facts About NJ Charter Schools and My Research

Jersey Jazzman: Correcting the Facts About NJ Charter Schools and My Research

Correcting the Facts About NJ Charter Schools and My Research



I'm trying to keep this short because there are many other things that deserve my attention. But I feel compelled to respond to mischaracterizations of my work when they are directly affecting public policy, especially in my home state.

Last month, Newark Public Schools superintendent Roger León called for the NJ Education Commissioner, Lamont Repollet, to deny the renewals of four charter schools in the Newark city limits.

I'm going to hold off expressing any opinions about these specific renewals, or León's arguments about their impacts on the finances of NPS. Suffice to say that there is plenty of empirical evidence that small school districts -- which are, for all intents and purposes, what NJ charter schools are -- are not as efficient as larger ones. There is reason to believe, therefore, that small charter schools with redundant systems of administration can produce fiscal pressures on hosting public school districts, which have the obligation to fund charters. My own work in New Jersey shows how this pressure manifests, although the issue is complex. Again, we'll save a discussion of all this for later.

For now: León's letters to the commissioner refer to several pieces of research on charter schools, including a brief I wrote with Julia Sass Rubin: New Jersey Charter Schools: A Data-Driven View - 2018 Update, Part I (2018). Here's how León characterized our work:


Research conducted at the Rutgers Bloustein School of Planning & Policy shows that the proportion of special CONTINUE READING: Jersey Jazzman: Correcting the Facts About NJ Charter Schools and My Research