Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 2, 2019

Jennifer Hall Lee: Why I Volunteer at My Local Public School | Diane Ravitch's blog

Jennifer Hall Lee: Why I Volunteer at My Local Public School | Diane Ravitch's blog

Jennifer Hall Lee: Why I Volunteer at My Local Public School

Jennifer Hall Lee lives in Pasadena, California. Her child is now enrolled in the high school, but Lee continues to volunteer and raise money for the middle school, where she is needed. In a note to me, she said that 45% of the students in Pasadena are attending private schools, charter schools, or home schooled. The public schools are suffering because of this splintering of civic energy.
The annual fund committee raises money throughout the year to help Eliot pay for teacher salaries, supplies, programs, technology and more–all of which keeps Eliot an arts magnet school. Annual funds, once the staple of private schools, are now necessary for many public CONTINUE READING: Jennifer Hall Lee: Why I Volunteer at My Local Public School | Diane Ravitch's blog