Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 2, 2019

“Almost all of the diversity of our youths was in a single school district,” says Pete Buttigieg. “I was slow to realize.” – Fred Klonsky

“Almost all of the diversity of our youths was in a single school district,” says Pete Buttigieg. “I was slow to realize.” – Fred Klonsky

“ALMOST ALL OF THE DIVERSITY OF OUR YOUTHS WAS IN A SINGLE SCHOOL DISTRICT,” SAYS PETE BUTTIGIEG. “I WAS SLOW TO REALIZE.”

Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg told Reverend William Barber that he didn’t notice South Bend’s public schools were segregated.
Buttigieg is the mayor of South Bend.
“I have to confess that I was slow to realize — I worked for years under the illusion that our schools in my city were integrated… But what I slowly realized… if you looked at the county, almost all of the diversity of our youths was in a single school district,” Buttigieg said in an interview with Rev. William Barber III.
Yes. “All the diversity of our youths was in a single school district,” is a weird formulation.
But that he didn’t realize that integration was an illusion in his city?
Buttigieg is either a liar or suffers from too common a white blindspot.
In 2015, several South Bend schools showed concentrated black enrollment, inconsistent with county racial realities.
So, when did Mayor Buttigieg notice?
As the data shows, the segregation of South Bend schools have a long history and is CONTINUE EDUCATION: “Almost all of the diversity of our youths was in a single school district,” says Pete Buttigieg. “I was slow to realize.” – Fred Klonsky