Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 28, 2019

With A Brooklyn Accent: Why Hip Hop Began in the Bronx- My Lecture for C-Span

With A Brooklyn Accent: Why Hip Hop Began in the Bronx- My Lecture for C-Span

Why Hip Hop Began in the Bronx- My Lecture for C-Span

What I am about to describe to you is one of the most improbable and inspiring stories you will ever hear. It is about how young people in a section of New York widely regarded as a site of unspeakable violence and tragedy created an art form that would sweep the world.  It is a story filled with ironies, unexplored connections and lessons for today. And I am proud to share it not only with my wonderful Rock and Roll to Hip Hop class but with C-Span’s global audience through its lectures in American history series.
Before going into the substance of my lecture, which explores some features of Bronx history which many people might not be familiar with, I want to explain what definition of Hip Hop that I will be using in this talk.
Some people think of Hip Hop exclusively as “rap music,” an art form taken to it’s highest form by people like Tupac Shakur, Missy Elliot, JZ, Nas, Kendrick Lamar, Wu Tang Clan and other masters of that verbal and musical art, but I am thinking of it as a multilayered arts movement of which rapping is only one component.  What evolved in the Bronx in the early and mid 70’s, and which spread to disfranchised communities around the world in the 80’s, consisted of four connected components: DJ’ing and beat making, the original art form which set the Hip Hop Revolution in motion;  B-Boying or Break Dancing, a form of acrobatic group dancing that bore more than a few commonalities with martial arts; Graffiti art, a form of illegal public art and self-expression which found its way into flyers announcing hip hop events as well as on buildings and transportation systems, and finally, Mc’ing or rapping, rhyming over beats in a style that could vary from the boastful, to the reflective to the assertively political.
   ALL of these art forms, which emerged in CONTINUE READING: With A Brooklyn Accent: Why Hip Hop Began in the Bronx- My Lecture for C-Span