Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 20, 2019

Charter School’s Two Dads – How a Hatred for Public School Gave Us School Privatization | gadflyonthewallblog

Charter School’s Two Dads – How a Hatred for Public School Gave Us School Privatization | gadflyonthewallblog

Charter School’s Two Dads – How a Hatred for Public School Gave Us School Privatization
If bad ideas can be said to have fathers, then charter schools have two.
And I’m not talking about greed and racism.
No, I mean two flesh and blood men who did more than any others to give this terrible idea life – Minnesota ideologues Ted Kolderie, 89, and Joe Nathan, 71.
In my article “Charter Schools Were Never a Good Idea. They Were a Corporate Plot All Along,” I wrote about Kolderie’s role but neglected to mention Nathan’s.
And of the two men, Nathan has actually commented on this blog.
He flamed on your humble narrator when I dared to say that charter schools and voucher schools are virtually identical.
I guess he didn’t like me connecting “liberal” charters with “conservative” vouchers. CONTINUE READING: Charter School’s Two Dads – How a Hatred for Public School Gave Us School Privatization | gadflyonthewallblog