Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 11, 2019

LeBron James' I Promise School Receives $1M Grant from Dick's Sporting Goods

LeBron James' I Promise School Receives $1M Grant from Dick&'s Sporting Goods

LeBron James’ I Promise School Receives a $1 Million Boost from Dick’s Sporting Goods

Image result for LeBron James̢۪ I Promise School Receives a $1 Million Boost from Dick̢۪s Sporting Goods
The good news keeps coming for LeBron James’ groundbreaking I Promise School in his native Akron, Ohio. Following April reports that the school was already yielding incredible results in its first year, the NBA star surprised I Promise students by announcing that they’d be receiving a brand new gym, thanks to a $1 million grant from Dick Sporting Goods, as part of the Sports Matter program.
James made the announcement in the gym of his alma mater, St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, saying:
“To my kids, this is more than a gym. The Dick’s Sports Matter program is helping us provide even more opportunities. An opportunity to play and learn in a safe place that many don’t have access to. I can’t imagine where my friends and I would be if it weren’t for the coaches and teachers who cared about us and the opportunities we had.”
It’s a well-earned reward following significant academic improvement and achievement by I Promise, a public school founded in partnership with Akron Public Schools and the LeBron James Family Foundation. In its inaugural year, the school welcomed 240 of Akron Public School’s most at-risk 3rd and 4th graders, who began the 2018-19 school year in the bottom 25th percentile and were performing below grade level. Currently, 90 percent are “meeting or exceeding individual growth goals in reading CONTINUE READING: LeBron James' I Promise School Receives $1M Grant from Dick&'s Sporting Goods
Image result for Dick̢۪s Sporting Goods