Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Lies We Tell Our Students | Blue Cereal Education

Lies We Tell Our Students | Blue Cereal Education

Lies We Tell Our Students

Lies Lies Sign
I don’t like to lie to my students. I try not to, but it’s not always easy. Sometimes it’s literally required by the folks signing my paycheck, creating what we in the teaching business call “a dilemma.”
My ex-wife and I never told our kids there was a Santa, a Tooth Fairy, or an Easter Bunny, even when they were very little. We tried to make holidays fun, of course, and we played all sorts of pretend games and did traditional things – we weren’t uptight. It just seemed wrong to demonstrate to them early on that we were willing to fabricate stories about invisible beings which they were expected to later outgrow, for no better reason than our own amusement.
Euthanized animals weren’t playing on someone’s farm, pre-teens didn’t always win at games they sucked at, and not everyone is special in their own way. We tried to balance this with some grace and humility – it wasn’t their job to puncture the illusions of their young peers – but we didn’t figure familial festivities required lies and delusion.
(I’m not criticizing those of you who choose to betray your child’s trust repeatedly, by the way – that was just our personal choice. We wanted the truth – whether it be uncomfortable, encouraging, unwelcome, or warm – to mean something. We were odd that way.)
I feel the same way with my kids today – the ones I’m paid to deal with. It doesn’t Continue reading: Lies We Tell Our Students | Blue Cereal Education


NPE Action - Political Endorsements - https://npeaction.org/ on @NPEaction