Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 2, 2017

What I Learned During My Break | Diane Ravitch's blog

What I Learned During My Break | Diane Ravitch's blog:

What I Learned During My Break


I announced that I was taking a break from Christmas to New Year’s. I think my break lasted a few hours.
I learned that I need to connect with my friends.  I learned that my need to communicate was greater than my need for a break.
I learned that I need to adjust my schedule so it is not as constrained as it was before. I was posting five times a day, sometimes more, but never less that five times a day. 9, 10, 11, 12, 1 pm.
I no longer feel it necessary to stick to that schedule. I will post when I have something to say. It might be five times or more or less or not at all.
I used to watch the number of hits. I am now over 29 million hits. I won’t watch anymore. If I reach 30 million, I will say so, but I no longer have a numerical goal. I don’t care.
I will be as honest as I can be. I won’t bite my tongue. I have only contempt for Trump, and I will not hesitate to say so. I think he is a danger to the future of the world. His arrogance and ignorance threaten civilization. We can only hope that the Republic will survive. I don’t remember a president who filled the top jobs with people even more unqualified than he is.
To those who come to the blog to argue, you are welcome as long as you are civil.
Just don’t forget that it is my living room and you are here on my sufferance. If you are rude or if you insult me or teachers as a group, I will not hesitate to throw you out.
Meanwhile, those of us who want a better education for all are in for a rough ride these next four years. I want the blog to be a source of hope, succor, information, comfort, humor, and possibly inspiration for those who do the hard work of educating our children. I will look for the good and praise it. I will call out the phonies. I will look to you for news about what’s happening in your state and district.
We face threats to knowledge, science, education, academic freedom, even the very existence of facts. The threats are real.
Together, we will outlast and overcome the darkness that looms before us. There have been worse times. We will survive this one too and get our beloved nation back on track, moving towards its ideals and values.
What I Learned During My Break | Diane Ravitch's blog: