Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 22, 2015

"I Wonder." guest post by UOO's Peggy Robertson. | BustED Pencils ‪#‎optout‬ ‪#‎revolution‬

"I Wonder." guest post by UOO's Peggy Robertson. | BustED Pencils:

“I Wonder.” guest post by UOO’s Peggy Robertson.





Working in a district that is under “accreditation watch” while also working in one of the district’s “turnaround” schools brings intense stress and high stakes mandates everywhere you turn.
I wonder if folks understand what it’s like to feel guilty about asking your school to purchase you a trashcan? Or – being told there are certain resources you need – but knowing there is no money to buy them.
I wonder if folks understand what it’s like to teach reading (as a reading interventionist) to vulnerable children who have attended under-resourced schools FOR YEARS and having to pick and choose which of those vulnerable children gets support? Can you imagine the guilt?
I wonder if folks understand what it’s like to know EXACTLY WHAT STUDENTS NEED and to be told again and again that your root cause is not following the standards – or some other lame excuse that ignores poverty, high class size, and under-resourced buildings. Having taught in wealthy schools and under-resourced and high poverty schools and knowing what this looks like/sounds like, I wonder if folks truly understand what it means to teach reading to children with books galore in their homes versus children who have no books, no computers, and also speak a second language – I wonder if folks really understand what teaching reading looks like in those two situations – I wonder if they understand what is ultimately required of teachers in urban diverse schools in terms of "I Wonder." guest post by UOO's Peggy Robertson. | BustED Pencils:
Join United Opt Out for the Education Revolution!
uoo_banner1