Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Hop: A Film About Reform And My Kid - Living in Dialogue

Hop: A Film About Reform And My Kid - Living in Dialogue:



Hop: A Film About Reform And My Kid






A few years ago I freaked out. Rigoberto Ruelas, an LAUSD teacher, jumped off a bridge on the Los Angeles Crest Highway after the LA Times published his unsatisfactory teacher rating. A teacher myself, his death cut to the quick, and I found myself protesting in front of the Times, running with Occupiers, learning to live stream and meeting a lot of other pissed off educators, the UOO folks first, then the NPE and Seattle BATS. I live streamed Diane Ravitch, Karen Lewis and countless other activists and bloggers, accumulating hours of footage I was foolish enough to try to cut together into a film. I even flew to Boston and interviewed Noam Chomsky, who had a big bag of baseballs in his MIT office he was in the process of autographing. When I finished the film, last summer, I freaked out again. How could I show anybody a movie about my son? Well, I’m finished freaking out. Here it is: https://vimeo.com/121553667  Hop: A Film About Reform And My Kid - Living in Dialogue: