Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 9, 2014

6-9-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:






The Best Music Videos Of “What A Wonderful World”
“What A Wonderful World” by Louie Armstrong is a super-popular song, and well-used by teachers of English Language Learners throughout the world. This evening, Wendi Pillars shared a spoken version by David Attenborough that I hadn’t seen before, and I thought I’d take the opportunity to share the versions I’ve used with my students. I hope readers will share ones they like, too. Here’s the versi
The Best Posts On The Study Suggesting That Bare Classroom Walls Are Best For Learning
The media has been full of stories about a new study suggesting that bare classroom walls are a better learning environment for children than decorated ones. In many ways, this research is a great example of some of the problems with much education research, much of which you can read about in The Best Resources For Understanding How To Interpret Education Research. There are two excellent posts
‘Creating a Culture Where Students Want to Succeed’
‘Creating a Culture Where Students Want to Succeed’ is Part in my Ed Week series on creating a positive school culture. Today’s post includes comments from Margaret A. Seale, Maurice J. Elias, Heather Wolpert-Gawron and Dr. Howie Knoff. I also share ideas contributed by readers. Here are some excerpts:

My Latest NY Times Post For English Language Learners Is On Pets
My latest NY Times post for English Language Learners features a student interactive on pets. It also shares teaching ideas for writing, drawing and creating videos about family pets. You can see all forty-two of my previous NY Times posts here.


6-8-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: New Student Motivation, Engagement & SEL ResourcesOur school year will be over in four days and, after a brief rest, it will be time for me to complete the third volume in my student motivation “trilogy” that should be published early next year by Routledge. It’s tentatively titled Building a Community of Self-Motivated