Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 6, 2014

6-6-14 @ The Chalk Face

@ THE CHALK FACE:






Reflections on Oklahoma’s Repeal of Common Core
The first key reaction to Oklahoma’s defeat of Common Core is best described by a football metaphor. We’re celebrating like we’ve been in the End Zone before – no gloating or trash talk about the touchdown. This is true even though many of us, especially liberal Common Core opponents, haven’t had many political victories in […]


I Now Have a Facebook Page
I now have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bymercedeskschneider The page features my book, A Chronicle of Echoes, and my blog, . As of this writing, my page has 91 likes. I even have my first hashtag:  #chronicleofechoes I still have no Twitter account. Twitter moves so fast with its little messages, and I haven’t time to keep up […]


6-5-14 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: Chicago’s George Schmidt on Martin Koldyke, “Golden Apples,” and School “Turnaround”On June 4, 2014, I posted this piece by a guest writer, a Chicago area teacher, who has concerns about Martin Koldyke’s “Golden Apples” teacher recognition program. Her concern is that the “Golden Apples” program is a benevolently-disguised, self-serving effort for Koldyke to use teachers to staff