Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Better Prepared Teachers? Coffee Chat with Arne and Andrea

Better Prepared Teachers? Coffee Chat with Arne and Andrea:



Better Prepared Teachers? Coffee Chat with Arne and Andrea

The other day I watched  Andrea Mitchell interview Arne Duncan. It’s always difficult for me to listen to authorities on teaching who have never been teachers, or who have never even studied what it takes to be a teacher. When they bloviate what the government needs to do to make good teachers, I want to ask how do they know? Unless you have walked in their shoes….
I also don’t think Arne and the Obama administration are paying any attention to what really keeps parents up at night when it comes to their children’s schooling. They are focused on all the wrong things.
But I realized a long time ago that today’s reality concerning teaching and education is warped. So I just try to make sense of it, and this is my attempt to decipher Arne’s gibberish (it is critical) about teacher preparation and the colleges of education.
First and foremost…When they say they want to overhaul undergraduate teacher preparatory programs, my guess is they really want to get rid of these schools. They will do it like they get rid of teachers in real public schools—tying success to test scores.
A teacher’s success, they say, will be determined by the kind of future scores their students Better Prepared Teachers? Coffee Chat with Arne and Andrea: