Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Peg with Pen: Refuse the Tests in 2014 - The Tipping Point

Peg with Pen: Refuse the Tests in 2014 - The Tipping Point:



Refuse the Tests in 2014 - The Tipping Point

United Opt Out National

Opt-Out/Refusal Guides for each State | United Opt Out National
Opt-Out/Refusal Guides for each State | United Opt Out National: OPT-OUT/REFUSAL GUIDES FOR EACH STATEAll documents are for informational purposes only and do not substitute as legal advice or legal counsel. The information contained in these documents and this website may or may not reflect the most current developments in education policy within our nation or within each state. Information share

In my district, our students come from over 130 countries and speak more than 120 languages. I am proud to be a part of this district. I am so proud of these students - these students who can tell me more about the world than I could possibly ever know.

70% of the students in our district receive free or reduced lunch. 

51% are considered second language learners. 

10% receive exceptional student services (SPED).

18% percent of our population is Black. 55% is Latino. 17% White. 5% Asian. 

In New York last year, only 3% of the second language learners passed the common core test. In New York only 5% with IEPs passed. In New York 80% of Black and Latino failed. 

I can already tell you what will happen to my district in 2014-2015 when the national common core tests arrive. But I can't tell you what will happen to each individual child, who will suffer under mandates that have been intentionally designed to fail them. I fear for all of them.

I am ashamed of my country. We - all of us - are allowing these children to be harmed, abused and denied their right to a creative, innovative, humane and