Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 3, 2014

Parents Are Labor’s Client – redqueeninla

Parents Are Labor’s Client – redqueeninla:



Parents Are Labor’s Client

Written by redqueeninla in Education





 My principle job as a parent is to nurture my children.  I feed, clothe and house them.  I scrutinize their talents and gauge how and what to support.  When distractions tempt me from my job I try to focus on its principles and limit the temptation to stray.  An optimal interplay with the “extracurricular” is debatable of course, with extremes of “helicopter” or “curling” parents defining one arena of outliers, neglect and abuse another; there are other ways to lose balance.

But in terms of their education, I feel often as if I am picking my way through the Styx, with skirmishes and pitfalls all around about which I know little while understanding that ignorance is a peril.
For example, the fight about Education Reform (or as Scott Folsom, a huge parent-presence in LA terms it, “Ed ®eform”).  Integral to the movement, perhaps underlying most if not all of it, is a battle of, by, against and for we plebeians regarding:  Labor unions.
So many of us are so attacked by this issue on so many fronts.  Lila Garrett of