Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2-26-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:







February’s Best Posts From This Blog
I regularly highlight my picks for the most useful posts for each month — not including “The Best…” lists. I also use some of them in a more extensive monthly newsletter I send-out. You can see older Best Posts of the Month at Websites Of The Month (more recent lists can be found here). Here are some of the posts I personally think are the best, and most helpful, ones I’ve written during this pas


“Why Do Teachers Leave High-Poverty Urban Schools?”
Why do teachers avoid, or leave, high poverty urban public schools and what can be done to improve the situation? is the latest “question-of-the-week” at my Education Week Teacher column. Feel free to leave your responses there or here in the comments….


Another Study Demonstrates The Ineffectiveness Of Extrinsic Motivation, But Also Something More….
Yet another study has found that extrinsic motivation is not a effective in enhancing motivation. Since there is so much research showing this already, that’s not really big news. But it’s the details of this study that are particularly intriguing. Daniel Pink has written and spoken about research showing that extrinsic motivation is effective in enhancing mechanical work that doesn’t require cre
The “All-Time” Best Online Learning Games
I’ve been posting annual lists of the The Best Online Learning Games for a number of years. I thought it would be useful for readers, my students, and me to review them all and identify my choices for the “all-time” best ones. I’ve begun creating a number of these “All-Time” Best list, with The “All-Time” Best Ways To Create Online Content Easily & Quickly being the first ; The “All-Time” Bes
2-25-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Impressive Video On Ukrainian ProtestsHere’s how the New York Times describes this video: [It mixes] footage of the demonstrators with inspirational speeches on the importance of overcoming fear first spoken by Will Smith, in “After Earth,” and Sylvester Stallone, in “Rocky Balboa.” It was shared at the height of last week’