Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2-26-14 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher

Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.:



lewsi






The dirty tricks of Toni Berrios and the regular Democrats.
  The dirty tricks of the regular Democrats have hit the fan in my 39th State Representative District. Democratic Party boss Joe Berrios’ daughter, Toni, is facing defeat in the March 18th primary at the hands of progressive Will Guzzardi. Last week the regular Dems sent out postcards and letters to the district’s voters claiming Guzzardi favored child molesters. This week they are sending out th
Joravsky post reminds me of my stalker Ben Velderman.
If you’re a long time reader of this blog you can hit the remote. If you play the drinking game that involves downing a shot when I post a picture of my stalker, Ben Velderman, get to the liquor cabinet. Chicago Reader columnist Ben Joravsky reports today on the difficulty of getting a response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request from Rahm Emanuel, the City of Chicago or the Chicago Pu


Matt Farmer. Opt out letter.
  Matt Farmer and Karen Lewis in Springfield last week for teacher pension rights. From Matt Farmer: Here’s the text of the letter I sent to the principal of my youngest daughter’s school. (My oldest kiddo is years removed from the CPS experience.) Dear [Principal's name], Lisa and I have decided that Samantha will not sit for the ISAT examination next month. This letter serves as our official “o


Karen Lewis. Standardized testing and the Eugenics movement.
- Karen GJ Lewis is the President of the Chicago Teachers Union and National Board Certified Teacher. Many people who are convinced that standardized tests are reliable and valid indicators of student learning are not only sadly mistaken, but they are often people who also support policies that harm children, teachers and schools. This is unfortunate for a variety of reasons, the least of which i
Teaching our students and keeping them safe.
The words of Sarah Chambers, who stood on the steps of Saucedo Academy yesterday afternoon. “We are not afraid.” Parents place their children in the care of teachers. They expect us to do what is best, to teach them and keep them safe and return their children to them safe. Yesterday morning 100% of the teachers chose to boycott the ISAT test. To teach them instead. And keep them safe. Trust me. F
Ellen Gradman. Saucedo Academy melts the ISAT.
  Graphic: Ellen Gradman.
2-25-14 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher
Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.: Tony at the Red Line Tap.  “I don’t get it,” Tony sighed as I grabbed my seat at the bar. “Sean, my man.” I yelled to the kid in the back room. “A Cal’Arenys. Room temperature.” “I said, I don’t get it.” “I heard you, but I wanted my beer. Now. What don’t you get, Tony?” “Four-man bobsledding.  How is