Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Inspiring moments in the classroom. They happen and they matter | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

Inspiring moments in the classroom. They happen and they matter | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com:

Inspiring moments in the classroom. They happen and they matter 

Ernie
Ernest Holsendolph
Here are two stories of classroom inspiration, both from one of my favorite AJC colleagues, Ernest Holsendolph, a talented journalist whose experience included The New York Times, the Cleveland Plain Dealer and Fortune.
Ernie and I were editorial writers together for years at the AJC. Ernie cared a lot about education, as this story shows. He is now retired in Atlanta, and posts wonderful gems on Facebook, including an end-of-the-year reminiscence today about the late great Richie Havens and his visit to a Washington, D.C., elementary school.
 A truly nice man left us this year, with the passing of Richie Havens. The folk singer and balladeer is one of the few showbiz people I ever met.
And could not forget.

Back in about 1970, when I was a reporter covering the DC public schools for the The Evening Star, one of my sources whispered that Richie Havens would come and perform for kids in an elementary school. Sounded improbable to me when I found out he was in town but performing at a late night club.
Anyway I showed up at the school at 8 in the morning, and in walked Richie, guitar over his shoulder, and looking imposing to the kids who gave wild applause. And this guy,