Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

12-31-13 @ The Chalk Face

@ THE CHALK FACE:





AFT’s 10 Myths: Unyielding Devotion to the Common Core
In my hands I am holding the latest issue of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) quarterly publication, American Educator. It is open to page 43, Tools for Teachers: 10 Myths About the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The piece was written by AFT’s Educational Issues Department. Their position is one of unreserved support for CCSS. Of course. I […]


Father Guido Sarducci’s 5-Minute Charter School?
For my last 2013 post, I’m opting to rely on comedy. Given the rapid growth of charter schools, I can’t help but wonder what Father Guido Sarducci would propose? Perhaps, the “5-Minute University” business model can branch out and become the 5-Minute Charter School? Sounds like a solid business model. Any investors interested in chartering […]


#Commoncore opponents, a word please.
In recent weeks, I’ve seen a surge in Common Core opposition that is focused on the micro-examination of individual classroom assignments. Let me be clear at the outset: I oppose the Common Core State Standards. We’re clear on that, correct? All right. I’ve observed some interactions on a Facebook page called “Inappropriate Common Core Lessons.” the […]

Why Is Maryland taking Florida’s Place as PARCC Henchman?
By Morna McDermott http://www.educationalchemy Set out runnin’ but I take my time, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine -Grateful Dead- Is this any way to start off a new year? Are you scratching you head wondering…wondering why it is that Maryland has decided to become the PARCC fiscal agent? First of all, what […]

@johnkuhntx guest post: Five New Years Resolutions for Public Education Supporters
By: John Kuhn 2013 was a pivotal year for parents, teachers and students who support a free public education for American children. In California, Governor Jerry Brown refused to over-test the state’s students to satisfy bureaucratic demands for data, even in the face of federal threats to withhold Title 1 education funding. In Seattle, Jesse Hagopian and […]

Maryland Takes Florida’s Place-Why?
Post by Morna McDermott- http://www.educationalchemy.com Set out runnin’ but I take my time, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine -Grateful Dead- Is this any way to start off a new year? Are you scratching you head wondering…wondering why it is that Maryland has decided to become the PARCC fiscal agent? First of all, […]
Gary Rubinstein on TFA and CC: Plus Predictions for 2014 and 2024!
In his Open Letters To ‘B-List’ Reformers I Know. Part 2: Elisa Villanueva-Beard and Matt Kramer, Gary Rubinstein is primarily confronting the new leadership at Teach for America—and I recommend your reading the entire post—but I want to highlight what I think is a very succinct and accurate challenge to supporting Common Core: [click to enlarge] Rubinstein […]

12-30-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: “They ask only opportunity”: Helen Keller and Those Who Will Not See\”They ask only opportunity\”: Helen Keller and Those Who Will Not See. via “They ask only opportunity”: Helen Keller and Those Who Will Not See.by plthomasedd / 16min 12-29-13 @ The Chalk Face@ THE CHALK FACE: A Reminder: “The Children Do Notice”A Reminder: \”The Children Do Notice\”. via A Reminder: “The Childr