Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, December 26, 2013

I Will Be The Muhammad Ali Of Education Writing (My Top Ten Posts of 2013) - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson

I Will Be The Muhammad Ali Of Education Writing (My Top Ten Posts of 2013) - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson:

I Will Be The Muhammad Ali Of Education Writing (My Top Ten Posts of 2013)

by JOSE VILSON on DECEMBER 26, 2013
in JOSE
George Foreman vs. Muhammad Ali
George Foreman vs. Muhammad Ali
Dear reader,
The reason I haven’t spoken about Kanye West all year is because, in some ways, I’ve occupied a similar space that he does in education discussion. I don’t mean marrying Kim Kardashian, either.
Here’s the list of my top ten posts according to how many views I got:
  1. Chris Christie and Why Teaching Intersects With Women’s Rights
  2. I’m Diane Ravitch and I’m Tired of Your Shit (A Review of Reign of Error)
  3. First They Came For Urban Black and Latino Moms (For Arne Duncan)
  4. Excuse Me, Your Privilege Is Showing (White Privilege in Ed Reform)
  5. An Open Letter From The Trenches [To Education Activists, Friends, and Haters]
  6. Quvenzhané Wallis, Matthew McConaughey, and How We See Our Children of Color
  7. Boredom, Thy Name Is Charlotte Danielson (On Rubrics and Misuse)
  8. If You’re Teaching Black History Month This Way, Please Stop
  9. The Revisionist’s Martin Luther King Jr., “I Have A Dream For Most Of Us”
  10. No One Puts Algebra 2 In A Corner (Math For All Kids)
This year, I dedicated myself to more honest writing, especially around issues of race and equity, and it shows. Seven of my top ten posts deal, at least implicitly with racial justice, four of these deal with women’s rights, and eight of these dealt with educational equity.
Yet, these all have something in common, too: each of them have had someone say, “Well, actually …”
The “Well, actually” crowd loves when you’re controversial in their lane. You agree with everything we have to say? Please walk right in. Have a seat. Jump on our lists. Sit on our board. Have these awards. I’ll follow everything you do for more than a day. Whatever you do, though, please don’t call out anyone or anything that we like because we don’t know what to do with valid
- See more at: http://thejosevilson.com/will-muhammad-ali-education-writing-top-ten-posts-2013/#sthash.88L6g4vE.dpuf