Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 15, 2013

12-15-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:







Videos Of New Orleans
We’re doing our ninth-grade unit on New Orleans right now, and I wanted to add a number of videos to The Best Websites For Teaching & Learning About New Orleans:


The Best Sites For Learning About The United Kingdom
I’m continuing to create specific “The Best…” lists corresponding to the countries and regions we’re studying in my ELL Geography class. You can see all them at The Best Geography Sites For Beginning & Intermediate English Language Learners. Today, I’m in a little bit of a rush, so I’ll try to quickly pull together some resources on the United Kingdom (we’re studying it this week and then mak

Free Resources From All My Books
I have many free resources, including excerpts and student hand-outs, available from all my books. Clicking on the covers will lead you to them:




The Best Posts On Teaching TOK “Knowledge Questions”
Three weeks ago I published a post wondering how people teaching the IB Theory of Knowledge course handled instruction on the concept of “knowledge questions” and invited guests to contribute. I’ll be publishing my annual round-up of of “Best” TOK resources, and wanted to post this collection on the topic prior to that time. Here they are: Attention, IB Theory Of Knowledge Teachers! How Do You Te


Very Impressive Interactive Infographic: “After Babylon”
After Babylon: Analysis of the current linguistic situation in the world is a very impressive interactive infographic: Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.


Study: Standardized Tests Don’t Measure “Fluid Intelligence”
People might differ with my interpretation of a new study that has just come out (and I’d love to hear if you do), but it seems to me that it has found that standardized testing may measure how well a school is doing on training students on lower-level thinking skills needed to do well on…standardized tests, but has practically no value in measuring “fluid intelligence” abilities like ability to t
“Teachers Must Help Determine New Ideas Being Implemented”
Teachers Must Help Determine New Ideas Being Implemented is my latest post over at Education Week Teacher. In addition to commentaries by Renee Moore and Kelly Young (who I consider a mentor and from whom I’ve learned more about teaching than anyone else), I share some of my own thoughts… I’m adding that post to The Best Posts & Articles On Building Influence & Creating Change.

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 12-14-13 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAY mark as readA Collection Of My “Best” Lists On The Common CoreI’ve published several “Best” lists related to the Common Core, and thought that readers might find it useful if I brought them all together. I was prompted to do this tonight after reading a good post: Five myths about the Comm