Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Rethinking Schools: Charter Schools and the Future of Public Education | Larry Miller's Blog: Educate All Students!

Rethinking Schools: Charter Schools and the Future of Public Education | Larry Miller's Blog: Educate All Students!:

Rethinking Schools: Charter Schools and the Future of Public Education

Filed under: Charter Schools — millerlf @ 3:28 pm 

Charter Schools - Dividing Communities since 1991


Somewhere along the way, nearly every teacher dreams of starting a school. I know I did.
More than once during the 30 years I taught English and journalism to high school students in Paterson, New Jersey, I imagined that creating my own school would open the door to everything I wanted as a teacher:
Colleagues with a shared vision of teaching and learning.
Freedom from central office bureaucracy.
A welcoming school culture that reflected the lives of our students and families.
Professional autonomy that nourished innovation and individual and collective growth.
School-based decision-making that pushed choices about resources, priorities, time, and staffing closer to the classrooms where it matters the most.
But reality can be hard on daydreams, and I got a glimpse of how complicated these issues are when my large comprehensive high school embraced the reform trend of the day and moved to create small theme academies inside the larger school. As the lead teacher of a new communications academy, I soon faced a host of thorny questions: Who would our new academy serve? What would the selection process be? How would the academy share space and resources with the rest of the school? How would our academy team be formed, and what