Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Ivy Academia Charter School | California Father

Ivy Academia Charter School | California Father:

California Father


Ivy Academia Charter School

by  on November 23, 2013 · Leave a Comment

Once in junior high, I asked Miss Casey (on whom, like most of the 7th grade boys, I had a crush) if teachers ever went to the bathroom. She laughed at my joke and I have tried to make other pretty women laugh ever since.
By the way, she told me that, yes, in fact, she did use the bathroom and that all teachers, so far as she knew, used bathrooms too.
Last night, I learned that charter school teachers also use the bathroom. That is, they are human, need a living wage and don’t like when their colleagues get fired at will.
In this case, the teachers work at Ivy Academia Charter School in the valley. I heard several of them speak at a rally where I learned how gutsy teachers can be.
Here is a vid I made about their struggles.
 
The Gingerbread Man
“Run, run, as fast as you can. You can’t catch me. I’m the Gingerbread Man.” When Nathan recited this I realized in whose presence I’ve always been. Nathan is an autistic kindergartner who bolts from his class and shows up at my door wanting to play. I teach in an RSP classroom where we help kids who are having trouble in reading and math. Nathan has trouble staying in his class, I think, because