Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

10-30-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:



On #edreform celebrity.
I can name more persons affiliated with education and the reform movement than I care to. Authors are our rock stars it seems. I found myself on whatever path I am on because of some unique circumstances, but above all that I’m an educator. I speak out because I’m oftentimes a stubborn person with a […]

#optout in Wisconsin
It’s official.  We are now Wisconsin opt outers! Dear Principal: Michelle and I are requesting that Lacey not participate in state standardized testing during the current school year. Furthermore, we ask that no record of this testing be part of Lacey’s permanent file, as we do not wish for Lacey to participate in standardized achievement […]


Want a Trustworthy Word on Teach for America (TFA)? Listen to Former TFAer Gary Rubinstein
Below I have posted two youtube videos by Gary Rubinstein, who joined Teach for America (TFA) in 1991 and who made the decision to become a career teacher. Gary now writes extensively about the problems associated with the temporary teaching TFA promotes as the “solution” to the complex issues faced in contemporary America public education. (If […]


This Is the Problem
This Is the Problem. via This Is the Problem.


AFT and ATF Respond to Locals: A Follow-Up
Recently, I posted an article about a story in the Albuquerque Journal about the New Mexico NEA and AFT putting pressure on the New Mexico Public Education Department (PED).  I called the suggestions from the two state union groups an “appeasement.” Also included in my article was a statement from the Albuquerque Teachers Federation (ATF), […]
  
10-29-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: Bullying by Numbers: Value-Added MeasuresIf you’ve been paying attention, you know that the evaluation focus for public education has moved quickly away from students and rapidly towards teachers and schools.  The propaganda is everywhere, and too many people are convinced by the mantra, “the greatest factor of student success is the teacher in the classroom.”  I don’t know who [