Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 28, 2013

What Does Reign of Error Mean? | Assailed Teacher

What Does Reign of Error Mean? | Assailed Teacher:

What Does Reign of Error Mean?

reign-of-error2

Diane Ravitch has always been my go-to person for matters of American schooling.
Back in 2004, I was 25 years old and starting my fourth year as a history teacher. It was the year I decided to branch out and create a philosophy elective at my school. I wanted to enable my philosophy students to deconstruct the world around them. Since they had already spent a good portion of their lives sitting in American schools, I figured I would be derelict in my duties if I did not help them deconstruct the American school system.
Yet, I knew next to nothing about the history and structure of American schooling. It was an embarrassing knowledge deficit for a history teacher to have. Before I could break down the school system with my students, I would have to break it down for myself. This meant a spate of independent research for me. It was at this point when I first read Diane Ravitch’s work.
Left Back: A Century of Failed School Reforms was an honest, direct and well-researched survey of the American school system. Diane’s simple yet