Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Seattle Schools Community Forum: I'll Say It - the Trayvon Martin Verdict is Wrong

Seattle Schools Community Forum: I'll Say It - the Trayvon Martin Verdict is Wrong:

I'll Say It - the Trayvon Martin Verdict is Wrong



First, if states have these dumb "stand your ground" laws, then you're going to see some very odd verdicts.

That issue notwithstanding, I find the verdict innocent (of even manslaughter) is completely baffling. 

For me, mainly it's about the "trail" that Zimmerman left behind.  He was the source of his own problem.  From start to nearly finish, he lead the way.  In the end, Trayvon, like many young men before him, decided to fight back from being stalked.  (And, it is likely he wasn't just annoyed but probably a little scared.  After all, his father lived at that complex so why would this guy continue to follow him?)

Mr. Zimmerman complained, at two different times, to police/911 that "these punks always get away."  He might go look in the mirror because I think he's right.  

One thing we did learn from OJ Simpson, if you cannot find justice in the