Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, June 3, 2013

Daily Kos: Rep. Carolyn McCarthy has lung cancer - with small personal update

Daily Kos: Rep. Carolyn McCarthy has lung cancer - with small personal update:

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy has lung cancer - with small personal update

as you can read in this NY Times story.
She is a dear friend, and I found out earlier today in an exchange of emails on another topic.  Some of her House colleagues knew, because she was not a secretive person.  She had discussed this earlier with political colleagues.  The announcement was made several hours ago.
She says her doctors are quite hopeful about the prognosis.  She is getting superb treatment.
She is a good person, and has in my opinion been a very good Representative, although I acknowledge we have some disagreements on issues.
I am holding her in  the light.
I do not want to lose her - and that has nothing to do with her political service. We are close friends.
Peace.
Update - Carolyn McCarthy is on the House Committee that oversees education, which is how we came together.  We have talked about education, we have talked about guns - her husband was killed and her son seriously injured by the Long Island RR gunman - we have talked about unions, we have talked about many issues.  She advised me against going work on the Hill, but encouraged me to stay involved - from the outside.  She has been a dear friend to both my wife and myself.  This has been very hard for both of us, and as people at the National Democratic Club began to learn the news they were devastated.  I do ask that if you pray you include her in your prayers.
Thanks